Friday, February 26, 2010

Baby led weaning (adding solid foods)

I recently uploaded some old videos of Dax onto youtube. I did this because I loved watching videos of other babies eat when I was first starting to introduce foods to Dax. Especially babies who were self-feeding a la "baby-led weaning" style. http://babyledweaning.blogware.com/
This method of feeding solids was researched/developed by Gill Rapley. The basics are that you don't feed a baby solids until they are developmentally ready and meet the following signs:
Can sit unassisted
Have lost the tongue-thrust reflex
Are interested in food to the point that they try to steal your food
Have a pincer grasp so they can pick up finger foods

Then, instead of spoon-feeding baby cereals and purees: you offer to the baby what the family is eating, as long as it is appropriately soft.

I already knew I didn't want to introduce solid foods early for the many advantageous reasons on this page: http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/delay-solids.html
And of course, after he started eating solids, I was glad I'd waited because the diapers sure got a lot more gross! I miss that age when he was 4-6 months and only pooping once every 7 days or so on his breastmilk-only diet. Those days of mostly wet diapers and no food to fix were pretty easy. :)
Dax was ready at 6 months for solids. I hope if I have another baby, they won't be
ready so early and I can stall until 8 or 9 months, haha. :)

Benefits of BLW: Baby is in charge of food and can decide how much to eat and choose from what is offered. Babies tend to be less picky as toddlers. Babies continue to trust their own hunger signals. Families can eat together, as nobody needs to spoon feed the baby. It was nice that we were able to sit Dax in his chair, give him some of our side of veggies, and eat our meal while he played/poked/ate what we'd given him. It even worked nicely at restaurants when we went out. Because he always self-feed, his small motor skills had a big developmental leap from all that practice and he was able to feed himself quite well with a fork and a spoon by 12 months. He could also eat pretty much any food at that point - sandwiches, meat loaf, whatever we were having. Oh, and have I mentioned this is a great method if you're LAZY and don't want to puree, smash, or cut up your kid's food into tiny pieces? Yeah, that's why I loved it. :)

So anyway, here are the videos:

6 months old, eating blueberries




6 months old, eating chicken




8 months old, eating pasta




13 months old, eating a tuna sandwich




Danger of BLW: Watch your kid carefully, or they'll help themselves to the fruit on top of the table!


No comments: