Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Sweater pants & Potty Training

I've been wanting to make sweater pants (or longies) for a while, but never had enough time to buy 100% wool sweaters for cheap at a thrift store. This past weekend I dug through the racks until I found 5 of them with yellow tags to total $5. That's only $1/each! :)

These are the super-easy instructions that I followed to sew sweater pants. I felted my sweaters first by putting them in a pillow case and washing on hot.
http://www.cafepress.com/thatskindacool/864331?CMP=CJ-CLICK-10461796&sid=skim725X65726



These gray ones are made of a thin, soft lambs wool. I made a matching vest out of the leftover fabric. :)



These are thicker and poofy. So cute, though! I want to make a matching winter ear flap hat out of my leftover sweater fabric.

I have 3 more sweaters to sew. I'm thinking Dax is just going to wear these as pants until spring. :) He likes them, they're easy to sew and really easy to fit because of the cuffs at the ankles. They're easy to get up and down for potty training. And if you lanolize them (that's the only reason I needed them to be WOOL instead of just any sweater) then they're waterproof for snow or for cloth diaper covers.

Potty training is going unbelievably well. Dax just continues to surprise me. :) He's in underwear all the time now except that I put him in a diaper at bedtime. Underwear at naps and underwear when we go OUT! I let him wear underwear to church on Sunday and he did just fine and came home dry. :) Whenever he needed to go potty, he'd make the sign, and I'd take him to the women's room, use my portable fold-up kid potty, and put him on the toilet. This is just too easy!

Today I took him to visit my FIL at a nursing home, where is is getting rehab for his recent shoulder replacement surgery. As soon as we got to his room, I showed Dax where the bathroom was and told him to let me know when he needed to go. 20 minutes later, he walked to the bathroom door, made the potty sign, and grinned at me. And so he used that nursing home potty, which was elevated quite high and had big sturdy handles on the sides that entertained Dax.

The only snag we're really running into with potty training is that Dax won't go with Daddy that well, and if I'm not around, then he wets instead of goes potty. And sometimes when we have company over, he's too excited to let me know when he needs to go. Oh, & the biggest problem has been that Dax sometimes thinks it's great fun to hose down the bathroom wall with pee while sitting on the toilet. It's hard to effectively communicate with a toddler who has a verbal vocabulary of 3 words, & a sign language (ASL) vocabulary of about 20.

No comments: